Placenames

Civil Parish record details , used pre 20th century …later DED divisions are used in census records
Explanation of administrative divisions such as D.E.D.s , Civil Parishs and Baronies , also some information on land measurement …

Killursa Civil Parish

Killursa :: click for more detail
Civil Parish Map.
County : Galway
Poor Law Union : Tuam
Barony : Clare
O.S. Maps : Galway – 40 . 41 . 42 . 54 . 55
R.C. Parish : Headford
R.C. Diocese : Tuam
R.C. Church : Claran
Marriage Records : 1880
Baptism records : 1880

Click on map for a detailed townland index map . . . .


Galway Library Field name book records



Official O.S. townland names in this parish are

Annaghkeen   Ardfintan  
Cahermacanally   Carrowbeg  
Carrownacroagh   Carrownakib  
Clerhaun   Cloonkeely  
Cloononaghaun   Coarsepark  
Parkgarve   Cordarragh  
Curraghmore   Ellagh  
Greenfield   Shanbally  
Headford   Headford T.  
Inchiquin   Inishskehan  
Kildaree   Lettera  
Crossaun   Ower  
Rinnaknock   Ross  
Shrub Island   Slieveroe  
Tobercrossaun   Ulrith  

Placenames in this parish other than official townlands

Known locations other than official townlands where the geographical location is known.
Boolaglass   Lishren  
Mooneenroe   Toneybaun  

Tithe Applotments (1823-38) Exact Locations unknown but in this parish.

Lewis’s Topographical Dictionary 1837.

The Killursa entry in Lewis Topographical Dictionary of 1837

KILLURSA

A parish, in the barony of CLARE, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT;
containing, with part of the post-town of Headford, 4612 inhabitants. It
is situated on Lough Corrib, and contains a great quantity of bog and limestone.

The principal seats are

  • Ower, the residence of J. Burke, Esq.;
  • Clarren, of J. Brown, Esq.; and
  • Carnacrow, of W. Skerrett, Esq.

It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, forming part of
the union of Headford; the tithes amount to £211. 10. 10 1/2.

In the R. C. divisions also it forms part of the union or district of
Headford, and has a chapel, which was built in 1770 at an expense of £350.

About 1230 children are educated in three public schools, two of which
are entirely supported by R. Mansergh St. George, Esq., and the rector,
and to the other J. Burke, Esq., has given half an acre of land rent-free;
and about 280 in six private schools.

Sir George Leonard Staunton, Bart., secretary to the British embassy
to China, in 1793, of which he published an account, was a native of this
place. Some battle-axes and javelins were found here a few years since.

HEADFORD

A market and post-town, partly in the parish of KILKILVERY, but chiefly
in that of KILLURSA, barony of CLARE county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT,
16 miles (N.) from Galway, and 107 3/4 (W.) from Dublin containing 1441
inhabitants.

This is a neat and clean town having been much improved by its proprietor,
R.J. Maasergh St. George, Esq.; it has a considerable trade, and commands
fine views of Lough Corrib, and the mountains of Joyces’ country and Mayo.

It comprises 217 houses, is a chief constabulary police station, and
has petty sessions on Mondays ; here is also a dispensary. Bobbin lace,
coarse linen, and fannel are made.

The market is on Tuesday, and fairs are held on May l lth and Oct. 14th.

Headford Castle is the residence of R. J. M. St. George, Esq.; it is
a handsome modern building, erected on the ruins of the ancient castle ;
the extensive demesne, which is laid out with great taste, is entered from
the town by a good gateway.

Here is also Clydagh House, the seat of G. Staunton Lynch, Esq.

In the neighbourhood are several raths ; and between the town and the
shores of Lough Corrib are the rains of Ross abbey, partially covered with
ivy. It was founded for Observantine Franciscans, in 1498, by Lord Granard,
and a chapter of the order was held in it in 1509. At the suppression of
religious houses it was granted to the Earl of Clanricarde. In 1604 it was
repaired by the Catholics, and in 1812 the roof fell in; one of the windows
is still perfect. Within this ruin is the burial-place of the Burke, Kirwan,
Browne, and Lynch families.

In 1828, silver coins of the reigns from Hen. III. to Wm. III., copper
coins of Jas. II. and his successor, military weapons and other relics were
found near Headford Castle, and are now in the possession of Mr. Harrison.


Field Name books from 1840’s


The shrule.com placename database covers the Poor Law Unions of Ballinrobe and Tuam roughly a 15 kilometer radius centered on Shrule , the townland database covers most of Connaught in lesser detail .


Find ::

When searching for a placename type some or all of the word and click search. If you are unsure of the spelling try a part of the word . For example the placename Mocharra sounds like Moharra so if you search for arra you should find it. For example a placename record ( eg Rostaff ) gives the townland ( eg Moyne ) and the civil parish ( eg Shrule ) .


Civil Parish details available :: 40

Abbeyknockmoy ,   Annaghdown ,   Athenry ,   Belclare ,   Ballinchalla ,   Ballinrobe ,   Cargin ,   Clonbern ,   Claregalway ,   Cong (Galway) ,   Cummer ,   Dunmore ,   Donaghpatrick ,   Kilbennon ,   Kilconla ,   Kilmoylan ,   Kilcoona ,   Killeany ,   Killursa ,   Kilkilvery ,   Killower ,   Lackagh ,   Moylough ,   Monivea ,   Killererin ,   Tuam ,   Ballinchalla ,   Ballyovey ,   Ballinrobe ,   Ballintober ,   Cong ,   Kilcommon ,   Kilmolara ,   Kilmainebeg ,   Kilmainemore ,   Moorgagagh ,   Mayo ,   Robeen ,   Shrule ,   Unknown ,   more to come . . . .


Barony details available

Clare  ,   Kilmaine  ,   more to come . . . .


Poor Law Unions details available

Tuam  ,   Ballinrobe  ,   more to come . . . .


Land divisions and Administration

Go to the Map Resources page for descriptions and explanations of the land divisions used in genealogy plus explanations of terms etc…

Civil Parish Maps

There are two general index maps of the Civil Parishes , one for South Mayo and the other for North Galway . These correspond roughly to the Baronies of Kilmaine (Co Mayo ) and Clare (Co Galway) and show the civil parish boundaries and parish locations in relation to each other.

Townland Index maps .

Official O.S. townland names in Shrule parish

Unknown   ,   Ballisnahyny   ,   Ballycurrin Demesne   ,   Ballynalty   ,   Brackloon   ,   Brodullagh North   ,   Brodullagh South   ,   Bunnafollistran   ,   Cahernabrock   ,   Cloghmoyne   ,   Cloonbanaun   ,   Commons   ,   Cullagh   ,   Dalgan Demesne   ,   Glasvally   ,   Gortatober   ,   Gortbrack   ,   Kinlough   ,   Mocollagan   ,   Mocorha   ,   Mounthenry   ,   Moyne   ,   Ramolin   ,   Rooaunalaghta   ,   Shrule   ,   Shrule Town   ,   Toorard   ,   Cornehan   ,   if the place you seek is not here it’s not an official townland name , search or select the parish link to see all placenames in that parish.
There are townland index maps for Shrule and the surrounding civil parishes available below . They show the townland boundaries and main features of the Civil Parish . They can be useful in locating adjacent townlands or parishes to the one you may be researching.

Categories: .


Web Design by CARGINsoft . © 1996-2010 . Hosted and maintained by CARGINsoft
Content supplied from many sources. eMail me if errors are found.