Shrule Castle, on the Black river at the Mayo border, was part of a manor granted by Richard deBurgo to his son John in 1308.
This strong construction was erected about 1238, and had an uneventful history down to 1570, when it was captured by Sir Edward Fitton and a strong British force, who on this trip took all the castles of Kilmaine.
Shrule Castle County Galway
The De Burgos and McDonnells came to the rescue of Burke of Shrule, broke and pursued the English army, but the eventual outcome of the battle was doubtful.
The Saxons kept the field, and with cajolery and treachery held it as far as the Kilmaine chiefs were concerned. Fitton himself was wounded. Wm. Burke occupied the castle, in 1574; John, his son, in 1610; Richard Burke, the Earl of Clanricarde, got the castle and lands to the extent of four quarters about this time, and leased them to Pierce Lynch of Galway.