Community Centre

facebook page
Contact number
087 8331110.


A local venue suitable for a wide range of activities , events, meetings & classes. This Community facility is YOUR facility and we WELCOME you to use it .

See Lands

SHRULE – J.F. Quinn’s History

Return to the index

Although Cong abbey had been suppressed in 1542, and the last abbot, Aneas MacDonnell, had been expelled, down to 1609 the power of England had not been fully effective in Connaught against the Church, and we find a Vicar, Dermot 0’Myn in Killinabrianin in 1591. In 1558 Dermot 0’Ruain was Vicar of Scruyr, John Og 0’Darcay was vicar of Kynlacha, and John 0’Konayll vicar of Killynbreayn, but the profits of both were usurped by William, son of John de Burgo, and the rectories of both belonged to Cong Abbey. In 1574 Scruer, Kynlagha and Killinbreanen were rectories and vicarages and two abbeys mentioned -Killinbreanyn and Moyne; but there is no reference to Clogvanaha, in Church Park, which must have been an ancient foundation and not functioning in 1574. The other two became extinct about this epoch. In 1591 Sruthir, Killinbranin and Kinlach are again registered as vicarages and rectories, and Dermot 0’Myn is mentioned as vicar of Killinbriain. This shows that the present parish of Shrule was a composite parish, embodying three preReformation vicarages and rectories. In 1833, Killeenbrenan was then called Moorgoger (Moorgagagh) parish in Goverment documents. The name is at present applied only to a townland, signifying cracked or split.

In the first list we have of See lands in Mayo appears Moorgagagh, the area being half a quarter. In a subsequent return of lands owned by the Archbishop of Tuam, Ross and Moorgagagh parishes are bracketed, With 122 acres in Russina (Rusheen townland, to the south of Rosshill) and 288 acres at Moorgoer (Moorgagagh); Cong and Moorgagagh are also bracketed, with. 1,121 acres at Kiltramadra (Houndswood) and Moorgoer. Under the Edwardine Taxation (1306) we have the following for the deanery of Struther: Struther, £2; Kenlacha (Kenlough), 13/4; Magenculi (Moyne), £l; Killyngmyirrynd (The Neal Old Church) £l; Cunga (Cong) £l; Inismedan (Inishmaine) £2; Rodba, £1 6s. 8d.; Kilcolman (Attyrickard) £4; Laughmescan (Ballinchalla) £2; Inysredba (Templenalecka) £1 6s 8d; Margos (Moorgagagh) £1; Kilkemantuyn (Kilcommon) £1 6s. 8d.; Rossclaran (Moyrus) 13/4; Innisdsclin (Omeyfeneen 16/-, making a total of £31 9s. 4d., the tenth of which (£3 2s. 11d.), went to the King. In Bodkin’s “Visitation” Dermot 0’Ruain is mentioned as Vicar of Scruyr, the profits of which was usurped by William, son of John de Burgo. The rectory was under Cong monastery. John Og 0’Darcay was the vicar of Kynlacha (Kinlough), but the profits were usurped by the same gentleman. This rectory was also under Cong.

In the Division of Connaught (1574) the list of churches, is very confused, but the vicarage and rectory of Killeenbrenan, Sruer and Kynlagha are referred to, also the abbey of Killinbreanyn, and possessed “eyther by Freeres, or Rebells, so as her Majesty hath no commoditie by the same.” Ballycally (Ballinchalla) and Homoheny (Feechin’s Island) are also referred to.

A 1591 list shows that Sruhir was under the College of Galway, the Queen being named as Rector of Killeenbrena and Kinlough, and Conley 0’Keafavin of Ballinchalla. The vicarages of Sruhir and Kinlough were also held by the College of Galway, Dermot 0’Myn being named for Killeenbrenan and Kervall 0’Ceally for Ballinchalla. The old churches and graveyards were Killeenbrenan (Moorgagagh), the old church at Kill, in Moorgagagh parish, and in Shrule, Shrule Abbey, “Clogvanaha” graveyard, north of Dalgan House at Carrowmore, Moyne and Kinlough churches. In the 16th century the rectories, or rather chief churches, in the deanery of Shrule were — in Conmaicne Cuil Tolad (Kilmaine) there were Ballinrobe, Kilmainemore, Shrule, Kilcommon, Kilmainebeg, Cong, Ballinchalla, Kilmolara, Moorgagagh and Ross, the following being in Conmaicne Mara (Connemara), Ballynakill, Omey, Ballindoon and Moyrus, and all except Ballinrobe and Kilmaine were under the abbey of Cong.

JF Quinn

J.F. Quinn series of articles on Mayo history published in the Western People during the 1930s

History of Mayo

by J. F. Quinn , Brendan Quinn
ISBN 0951928007 (0-9519280-0-7)
Hardcover, Brendan Quinn

Categories: .

Comment Feed

No Responses (yet)

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.

Web Design by CARGINsoft . © 1996-2010 . Hosted and maintained by CARGINsoft
Content supplied from many sources. eMail me if errors are found.