Community Centre

facebook page
Contact number
087 8331110.


A local venue suitable for a wide range of activities , events, meetings & classes. This Community facility is YOUR facility and we WELCOME you to use it .

Annals :: 1000-1200

From the O’Connor kings moving to Tuam to the death of Rory O’Connor.

Return to index page


The O’Connor, royal tribe of Connacht, shared the same lineage as the O’Flahertys in Brian Orbsen, and so were called Ui Briuin Ai, from their ancestral home of Magh Ai in Roscommon. In that century they took the surname O’Connor from one of their earlier Kings.So as to curb the rise of the O’Flahertys and to keep an eye on them, they moved their royal palace to Tuam on the eastern border of Magh Seola.


Hugh O’Connor, King of Connacht, defeated and blinded Amhalghaidh O’Flaherty, putting his warriors out of action for many years.


Flaighheartach O’Flaherty, overcame the O’Connors, blinding their King Rory Mac Aedha in revenge. He claimed the kingship of Con- nacht for himself.


Rory, mustering all the power he could get, dethroned and slew O’Flaherty.


Tenants still pay their rent in kind, according to the ancient mode, ie: barley, butter, bread, drink, flesh…


By the Synod of Rathbreasail Donaghpatrick had ceased to function as a diocese and the Abbot of Cong had taken Shrule and Moyne pa- rishes into his territory. Both the dioceses of Cong and Annagh- down were not fully recognised at that Synod, and from then on hey both had to struggle for survival.


Cong abbey is burn down.


Turlogh Mor O’Connor reduced the strength of the warlike O’Flahertys by ousting them out of Conmaicne Cuile and the Shrule area. He is said to have built a strong castle in Shrule and es- tablished another residence in Cong, so as to strengthen his po- sition in this territory.


Cong is burnt once again.


Both Annaghdown and Cong are burned to the ground.


Cong and Tuam are burned by raiding party.


Annaghdown is burned once again.


At the Synod of Kells, Cardinal Paparo, the Papal Legate, appointed four Archbishops, including one in Tuam.The Diocese of Cong was dissolved and integrated to the Diocese of Annaghdown, this included the ancient parishes of Moyne and Cloghvanaha.

The Diocese of Annaghdown was to cease to exist, and to be transferred to Tuam on the demise of it’s reigning prelate.It seems that the decision of the Prelate was influenced by Turlough Mor O’Connor, King of Connacht and High King, as Tuam was his residence, the enmity between the O’Connor and the O’Flaherty being the cause for Annaghdown losing it’s status as an independant see.


Kilmaine and Tuam are burned.


Rory O’Connor incensed Donnell O’Brien by dividing his inheritance. Donnell ask assistance from his father in law Dermot McMurrough.


Landing of Robert FitzStephen and Maurice Prendergast in Ireland.


Richard de Clare, Earl of Pembroke, better known as Strongbow landed at Waterford, so starting a full scale invasion.After occupying Dublin, the Normans including Fitzhenry and de Barry marched toward Limerick, on the instigation of Dermot McMurrough, to help Donnell against Rory.


During that period, Teampall Cholmain, the great parish church of Shrule was built, 91ft. long in Gothic style, by a descendant of Torlogh Mor O’Connor, in place of the older one founded by St. Patrick.That church stayed in use,except in penal times, until the nineteenth century.

It replaced Cloghvanaha Abbey as an administrative church.There is a mention of a Bishop of Shrule in the old annals but his name is not given.Some said that a Bishop of Cong might have taken residence in Shrule, so as to be more independent from the O’Connor.

To the same period as Teampall Cholmain also belongs the church of Kinlough, which replaced Moyne as the parish church for the wes- tern part of the present parish. Moyne continued to function for many years.


Donnell O’Brien joined Rory O’Connor in an effort to recapture Dublin from the Normans, in vain.

In October of that year William Fitzadelm de Burgo landed in Ir-eland for the first time. He was accompanying Henry II with Hugh de Lacy.He was the brother of Hubert de Burgh a powerful English lord.Within 2 or 3 years he acquired much land in Tipperary.


The Treaty of Windsor, ratified by Rory O’Connor and Henry II, safeguarded the kingship of Connacht from attacks by the Normans.


De Burgo was appointed as viceroy by Henry. Over the years the King gave William grants of extensive tracts of land in Limerick, Tipperary and Connacht.


Milo de Cogan invaded Connacht, burning and plundering in his way. However Rory O’Connor was still strong enough to inflict a crush- ing defeat on the invaders.


Kilmaine and Tuam are burned


Rory O’Connor’s son Conor Moenmoy pushed his father from the throne and formed the Irish League to fight the Normans.


Conor is murdered and the league dissolved.


Concors (Cormac) Bishop of Annaghdown is present at the coronation of King Richard I.


William de Burgh is in Limerick as Governor or similar capacity.


William de Burgh married a daughter of Donnell O’Brien, now king of Thomond, a second daughter of that King is married to the head of the O’Kelly clan and a third to Cathal Crovderg.Cathal Crovderg, brother of Rory O’Connor, had taken power in Connacht at the death of Conor Moenmoy, but his legitimacy being in doubt he found it hard to establish himself. Cathal Carrick,son of Conor was his main opposition


Rory O’Connor died in the Abbey of Cong where he had been in retirement for a few years.

Categories: .

Comment Feed

One Response

  1. Any info on MacGoisdelb who assisted Crovderhg and was granted land in Maenmagh, in 1195 and reconfirmed in 1205 by King John?

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.

Web Design by CARGINsoft . © 1996-2010 . Hosted and maintained by CARGINsoft
Content supplied from many sources. eMail me if errors are found.