Annals of Shrule

Townland and placename index for Shrule , Co.Mayo

Shrule :: Townland and placename index

Shrule the name given in 1570 by the four masters as Sruthair, the word is a variation of Sruth or Sruthan: a stream or river. The tradition of Shrule deriving it’s name from sruth-fuil, meaning river of blood, because of a massacre at Shrule bridge in 1642 is a fabrication and incorrect, as the name was already in use before that time.The name took various forms through the centuries, i.e.: Strothyr, Shrure, Shrower, Sruhir, and Shruel…

The Annals of Shrule were originally compiled by Gerard Metadger and in the past decade they have been added to and reformatted several times to include new material and to separate information into different categories better suited to presentation on the internet . The Annals do not include the twentieth century but anybody can add information to this history of the area !

The following is an index to the present format .

History of the area from the 1500 to 1900



    History of the area in the first millenium

  • 400 to 1000 AD
  • Christian Ireland before 1000 AD
  • 1 to 400 AD
  • After Christ to the coming of St.Patrick
  • BC
  • Before Christ

    Maps of the region through history

  • Ordnance Survey
  • .
  • 6″ : 1 Mile
  • Shrule parish spans 6 inch map numbers 121 , 122 and 123 for Mayo .
  • 1 : 50000
  • Discovery maps for the area are numbers 38 , 39 , 45 and 46 .
  • Townland
  • Index map of the parish and surrounding area showing townlands and placenames.
  • Down Survey
  • Map of the area from Hibernia Delineato published in 1685 by Sir William Petty for the Down survey of Ireland .

    Clergy who have served in Shrule parish

  • Church men and women
  • Shrule priests , curates and friars through the century of Penal laws and persecution.

    Landlords seats in the locality.

  • Dalgan Park
  • Kirwan – The Kirwan family occupied Dalgan Park from 1760’s to 1853.
  • ,,
  • De Clifford – Dalgan park was purchased by the Duke of Bedford, from the Russell family.Edward Russell inherited the title of Lord DeClifford.
  • Ballycurran
  • Maurice Lynch got a lease of Ballicurran Castle and 4 quarters of land on March 1679.
  • Moyne
  • Moyne – Occupied by Burkes , Blakes , ffrenchs etc. . .
  • Shrule House
  • John and James Golden are said to have built Shrule house in 1769 .
  • Shrule Grove
  • Lynch – Pierce Lynch moved to Shrulegrove about 1610 .
  • ,,
  • Ormsby – Sir Edward Ormsby moved to Shrulegrove after the departure of Pierce Lynch in 1655.
  • Glencorrib
  • Dillon-Brown – The family originally came from further north in county Mayo, they owned what was left of the Mochorrha castle and lands .
  • ,,
  • Higgins – Captain Fitzgerald-Higgins purchased Glencorrib lodge and the land of Bunafolistrane, now Glencorrib, from the Dillon-Brownes in 1850.

    Statistics and general analysis .

  • Statistics
  • Lies , damn lies and statistics !
  • Origins
  • Surname origins for the area .
  • Land
  • Griffiths Valuation , Tithe Applotments and names occurring in each .

Shrule parish

Shrule parish situated on the Mayo side of the Galway-Mayo border on the Eastern Shore of lough Corrib is a small parish of 9000 acres. It is approximately five miles long and one mile wide. The town of Shrule is sited on the eastern side of the parish beside the Blackriver. Shrule was an important natural crossing point on that river, a ford on the North-South route on the Eastern Shore of the Corrib.

On the Shrule half of the parish we can find about 30 ring forts and a crannog. This shows the importance of the area for the Celts.

The western side of the parish was a parish in its own right, Moyne, later to be replaced by Kinlough 0.8 miles farther east, But in penal times the parishes of Shrule and Kinlough were united because of a lack of priests. Another event that influenced Shrule greatly was the coming of the Normans. The ruins of six Norman castles can be found in the parish. The Normans made Shrule a market town, which stayed as such until the twentieth century, the last fairs and marts being held in the 1960s.

Lastly the whole parish was always known to be a Catholic area. No Protestant planters settled in Shrule parish. There was no Protestant landlord in the parish until 1850, and there never was a Protestant church in Shrule parish. In spite of this, the reform and its persecutions left the parish fairly untouched,as we shall see in these pages.

Categories: .

Comment Feed

No Responses (yet)



Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.


Web Design by CARGINsoft . © 1996-2010 . Hosted and maintained by CARGINsoft
Content supplied from many sources. eMail me if errors are found.